Amount vs Number
Kadang-kadang kita sedikit bingung dengan penggunaan kata “Amount” dan “Number”. Sepintas lalu keduanya mempunyai arti yang mirip. Pada dasarnya kedua kata tersebut berbeda. Perhatikan penjelasan di bawah ini:
* AMOUNT Digunakan Dengan Uncountable Nouns
1. We didn’t expect the bill to come to this amount of money.
2. Foods with a traditionally healthy appeal have up to twice the amount of sugar in them compared to 30 years ago.
3. She borrowed a large amount of money.
* NUMBER Digunakan Dengan Countable Nouns
1. The number of U.S. residents with Alzheimer’s disease is increasing annually, putting more pressure on the health care system.
2. The highest officially recorded number of children born to one mother is 69, to the first wife of Feodor Vassilyev (1707-1782) of Shuya, Russia.