Lay vs Lie
Satu lagi yang sering dibahas dalam Confusing Words dalam Grammar Bahasa Inggris adalah “Lay” dan “Lie”. Keduanya mempunyai bentuk yang hampir sama, namun sebenarnya berbeda. Berbeda arti dan berbeda fungsi dan kegunaan. Perhatikan penjelasan di bawah ini:
Kata kerja lie dan lay sering membingungkan kita. Perhatikan bentuk perbedaannya seperti berikut ini:
Kata Kerja lie memiliki 2 arti yang berbeda:
1. The mechanic was lying on his back underneath my car.
2. The cat just loves to lie in front of the fire.
3. She lay back in the dentist’s chair and tried to relax.
4. Lie still a moment, John.
5. He lies awake at night, worrying.
6. He lay down on the bed and cried.
7. I usually lie down (=rest/sleep) for an hour after lunch
8. Snow lay thickly over the fields.
1. Both witnesses lied to the police about what happened in the accident.
2. Don’t trust her – she’s lying.
3. I used to lie about my age but nowadays I don’t bother.
4. She lied her way past the guards.
Sedangkan kata kerja lay artinya Meletakkan:
1. She laid the baby (down) in its cot.
2. I’ll lay your coats on the bed upstairs.
3. Perhaps we should lay paper over the floor while we’re decorating the room.
4. She laid aside her book and went to answer the phone.
5. The dog laid its ears back (=put them flat against its head) and howled.
6. He laid down his knife and fork, saying he couldn’t possibly eat any more.
7. Lay the rug flat on the ground.
8. There will be some disruption for the next few weeks while contractors lay a new cable/sewer.
9. We’re having a new carpet laid in the hall next week.
10. They’ve been laying bricks (=making a wall with bricks) for two weeks and the first floor is already finished.
Lie (Berbohong) adalah Regular Verb (Kata Kerja Beraturan):
1. He is not to be trusted. He will always lie if he thinks it will help him.
2. You lied to me, child!
3. I have lied to him for his own sake.
Lie (Berbaring) adalah Irregular Verb (Kata Kerja Tidak Beraturan):
1. She usually lies down for a couple of hours after lunch.
2. He lay perfectly still, hoping that they wouldn’t find him.
3. The jungle had lain undisturbed for thousands of years.
Lay (Meletakkan) adalah Irregular Verb (Kata Kerja Tidak Beraturan):
1. Jenny lays the table for dinner every day.
2. We lay newspaper on the floor to stop the paint spoiling the wooden boards.
3. The hens have laid eight eggs.