Present Real Conditional
* [If / When … Simple Present …, … Simple Present …]
* [… Simple Present … if / when … Simple Present …]
Present Real Conditional digunakan untuk membicarakan tentang apa yang secara normal Anda lakukan dalam situasi kehidupan normal.
* If I go to a friend’s house for dinner, I usually take a bottle of wine or some flowers.
* When I have a day off from work, I often go to the beach.
* If the weather is nice, she walks to work.
* Jerry helps me with my homework when he has time.
* I read if there is nothing on TV.
* A: What do you do when it rains?
B: I stay at home.
* A: Where do you stay if you go to Sydney?
B: I stay with my friends near the harbor.
If / When
“if” dan “when” digunakan dalam Present Real Conditional. “if” digunakan untuk menjelaskan tentang sesuatu yang jarang terjadi, sedangkan “when” digunakan untuk menjelaskan tentang kejadian yang sudah biasa atau sering terjadi.
* When I have a day off from work, I usually go to the beach.
I regularly have days off from work.
* If I have a day off from work, I usually go to the beach.
I rarely have days off from work.
Present Unreal Conditional
* [If … Simple Past …, … would + verb …]
* [… would + verb … if … Simple Past …]
Present Unreal Conditional digunakan untuk menjelaskan tentang apa yang akan terjadi dalam situasi imajenasi (mengandai-andai).
* If I owned a car, I would drive to work. But I don’t own a car.
* She would travel around the world if she had more money. But she doesn’t have much money.
* I would read more if I didn’t watch so much TV.
* Mary would move to Japan if she spoke Japanese.
* If they worked harder, they would earn more money.
* A: What would you do if you won the lottery?
B: I would buy a house.
* A: Where would you live if you moved to the U.S.?
B: I would live in Seattle.
PENGECUALIAN If I were …
Dalam Present Unreal Conditional, bentuk “was” tidak digunakan. Gunakanlah “were” sebagai gantinya untuk semua subjek. Namun, dalam percakapan sehari-hari, “was” sering digunakan.
* If he were French, he would live in Paris.
* If she were rich, she would buy a yacht.
* I would play basketball if I were taller.
* I would buy that computer if it were cheaper.
* I would buy that computer if it was cheaper. Not Correct (But often said in conversation.)
PENTING, HANYA GUNAKAN “If”
Hanya kata “if” digunakan dalam Present Unreal Conditional karena kita sedang membicarakan sesuatu yang tidak nyata atau hanya sebatas imajenasi belaka. “When” tidak bisa digunakan.
* I would buy that computer when it were cheaper. Not Correct
* I would buy that computer if it were cheaper. Correct
Conditional Dengan Modals
Ada beberapa Modals yang digunakan dalam Conditional seperti tersebut di bawah ini:
1. would + can = could
2. would + shall = should
3. would + may = might
Kata “can,” “shall” dan “may” tidak dapat digunakan dengan “would.” Kata ini digunakan dalam bentuk khusus.
* If I went to Egypt, I would can learn Arabic. Not Correct
* If I went to Egypt, I could learn Arabic. Correct
* If she had time, she would may go to the party. Not Correct
* If she had time, she might go to the party. Correct
Kata “could,” should,” “might” dan “ought to” sudah termasuk dalam conditional, jadi Anda tidak perlu menggabungkannya dengan “would.”
* If I had more time, I would could exercise after work. Not Correct
* If I had more time, I could exercise after work. Correct
* If he invited you, you really would should go. Not Correct
* If he invited you, you really should go. Correct