Subjunctive adalah bentuk kalimat pengandaian. Namun topik Subjunctive ini berbeda dengan Conditional. Conditional adalah kalimat pengandaian juga namun perbedaannya adalah Conditional dilengkapi dengan syarat-syarat tertentu untuk mengandai-andai. Misalnya “Aku akan mengundanya jika aku jadi kamu.”. Berikut ini adalah penjelasan tentang Subjunctives.
* I were
* you were
* he, she, it were
* we were
* you were
* they were
* I be
* you be
* he, she, it be
* we be
* you be
* they be
Kata kerja lain (past & present)
* I work
* you work
* he, she, it work
* we work
* you work
* they work
Kita menggunakan subjunctives ketika kita berbicara tentang suatu kegiatan yang sebenarnya tidak akan terjadi. Kita menggunakan subjunctive ketika berbicara tentang kegiatan yang seseorang:
* Inginkan agar terjadi
* Harapkan akan terjadi
* Membayangkan akan terjadi
* The President requests that you be present at the meeting.
* It is vital that you be present at the meeting.
* If you were at the meeting, the President would be happy.
Subjunctive biasanya menggunakan kedua struktur berikut:
* Kata Kerja: ask, command, demand, insist, propose, recommend, request, suggest + that
* Ekspresi: it is desirable, essential, important, necessary, vital + that
* The manager insists that the car park be locked at night.
* The board of directors recommended that he join the company.
* It is essential that we vote as soon as possible.
* It was necessary that every student submit his essay by the weekend.
Perhatikan bahwa struktur berikut ini, subjunctive-nya sama. Tidak masalah kalimat itu tenses-nya past atau present. Contoh:
* Present: The President requests that they stop the occupation.
* Past: The President requested that they stop the occupation.
* Present: It is essential that she be present.
* Past: It was essential that she be present.
Kita selalu menggunakan were sebagai pengganti “was” setelah if (dan kata lainnya yang memiliki arti yang sama). Contoh:
* If I were you, I would ask her.
* Suppose she were here. What would you say?
Mengapa kita menggunakan “I were”, “he were”?
Kita sering mendengar orang berkata “if I were you, I would go” atau “if he were here, he would tell you”. Memang normalnya adalah: I was, he was. Tetapi struktur if I were you tidak melihat Past Tense”. Struktur tersebut hanya mengenal past subjunctive untuk “to be” nya. Perhatikan contoh kata-kata/frase di bawah ini untuk struktur di atas:
* as if
* If I were younger, I would go. (FORMAL)
* If I was younger, I would go. (INFORMAL)
* If he weren’t so mean, he would buy one for me.(FORMAL)
* If he wasn’t so mean, he would buy one for me. (INFORMAL)
* I wish I weren’t so slow! (FORMAL)
* I wish I wasn’t so slow! (INFORMAL)
* I wish it were longer. (FORMAL)
* I wish it was longer. (INFORMAL)
* It’s not as if I were ugly. (FORMAL)
* It’s not as if I was ugly. (INFORMAL)
* She acts as if she were Queen. (FORMAL)
* She acts as if she was Queen. (INFORMAL)
* If I were you, I should tell her. (FORMAL)
* If I was you, I should tell her. (INFORMAL)
Note: We do not normally say “if I was you”, even in familiar conversation.
Beberapa ekspresi menggunakan subjunctive. Contoh:
* Long live the King!
* God bless America!
* Heaven forbid!
* Be that as it may, he still wants to see her.
* Come what may, I will never forget you.
* We are all citizens of the world, as it were.